THE DEPARTMENT OF DIASPORA STUDIES
AT THE INSTITUTE OF ARCHAEOLOGY AND ETHNOGRAPHY NAS RA
THE ARMENIAN DIASPORA RESEARCH CENTER AT HAIGAZIAN UNIVERSITY
are pleased to invite you to participate in the International Conference
THE ARMENIAN FAMILY
IN THE CONTEXT OF CONTEMPORARY CHALLENGES
28-29 October 2017
Nowadays the family as a social institution has undergone fundamental changes that are having an impact on various aspects of the socal life. In this context, the changes taking place in the Armenian family are deeper because the conditions for existence of the representatives of Armenian nation are quite varied in different environments and generate a lot of challenges in reproduction of traditions and ethnicity. Historically, assuming the functions of other institutions, Armenian family acquired a key role in contributing to the preservation of national identity and ethno-cultural values.
In the context of current challenges, the International Conference on the contemporary issues of the Armenian family would give an opportunity: to gather new studies of the Armenian family within different disciplines; to identify trends and changes in the family both in homeland and Diaspora; to examine the role of the family in preserving ethnic identity; to compare traditional and modern models of the family and its functions.
- Interdisciplinary approaches to the family study: research framework and issues, family models (traditional and modern)
- Methodology of the family study: implementing of methods and tools
- Family and ethnicity: concepts and problems
- Peculiarities of the family study in the own and foreign environment
- Root principals of the family issues in Armenia and in Diaspora:
- Interethnic and intra-ethnic marriages (between representatives of different communities in Diaspora and between representatives of homeland and of Diaspora)
- Family and ethno-cultural identity (intergenerational transmission, education, language, religion, etc.)
- Family and migration
- Family enterprise
The following criteria will be used to evaluate and select the submitted abstracts:
- Subject: relevance to one of the mentioned above topics;
- Language: Armenian (Western or Eastern), Russian or English;
- Size: should not exceed 250 words;
- Structure: brief introduction, research question, purpose, research objectives, theoretical framework and methodology to be applied in the paper.
Applicants should send e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) presentation abstract
and their short curriculum vitae (1 page) by June 30, 2017.
Researchers, scholars, and PhD students in social-humanitarian and historical sciences, representatives of NGO and policy makers from Armenia, Artsakh, and abroad are welcome to apply for the conference.
Participants will be selected based on paper abstract and CV. Selected participants will be invited to present their papers (20-minute time limit for presentations). Selected papers will be published after the conference.
Abstract submission deadline: 30 June 2017
Replyby20 July 2017
Pre-final version of selected paper. 20 September 2017
Conference program and agenda. 10 October 2017
Full paper submission deadline. 30 November 2017
The conference will be conducted in Armenian. Simultaneous translation will be available during the presentations in English and Russian.
Fees and Costs
There is no participation fee and the conference participants will be provided with meals on the days of the conference. The participants are responsible for their travel and accommodation.
Organizing Committee and Editorial Board
The organizing committee of the conference is the group of researchers of the Department of Diaspora Studies at the Institute of Archeology and Ethnography NAS RA. Editorial board of the conference papers is the group of researchers of the Department of Diaspora Studies and the Armenian Diaspora Research Center at Haigazian University in Beirut.