The Department of Diaspora Studies was established in 2011
and has implemented a number of research projects related to the modern Diaspora.
- “The ways of solving the integration and adaption problems of Armenian immigrants from Syria” Project (2013-2015).
- “The memories of the witnesses of Armenian Genocide” collection (2014).
- “The main directions of comparative studies of Armenians in their own and foreign environments. The problems & the perspectives of the study” Book (2014).
- “The migration & the new Armenian Diaspora” Project (2014).
- “The national republic in the Armenian Press. A look from Armenia & Diaspora” Project (2012).
- “The main directions of comparative studies of the Armenians in their own and foreign environments. The problems and the perspectives of the study” Project (2014).
- “The Role of the Armenian Diaspora in the economic cooperation of Armenia and Russia. The experience, the problems & the perspectives. Armenian-Russian project (2011-2013).
- “Ethno-sociological research-project of the Armenians of Russia & Krasnodar” Project (2011-2013).
- “About the Armenian community of Russia” monography, corresponding member of the Russian Academy of Sciences, foreign member of the Academy Yu. V. Harutyunyan, (2012).
- “The ethno-sociological study of Armenians of Russia, Krasnodar & Armenia” Project (2011).
During its activity the Department has established contacts and signed cooperation agreements with scientific organizations from 7 countries. These are Institute of History and Ethnography of the Academy of Sciences of Kazakhstan, Institute of Ethnology and Anthropology of the Russian Academy of Sciences, International University of Kiev, Polish Institute of Armenian Studies, Centre of Diaspora Studies of Haykazian University of Lebanon, Minsk State University and Institute of Humanities of North Ossetia.
The Department of Diaspora Studies has the following structure. Main staff, consultants, contract workers and volunteers.
Head of the department, Doctor in History
Researcher, sociologist, orientalist
* Ashot Avetisyan
Researcher, Ph.D. in economic sciences
* Vanya Barseghyan
Scientific adviser, doctor of physico-mathematical sciences, head of the department of Diaspora of the National Academy of Sciences
* Sergey Vardazaryan
Scientific adviser, doctor of philosophy, head of cultural department of the Russian (Slavonic) University
* Yervand Markaryan
Scientific adviser, Ph.D. in historical sciences, head of history department of the Russian (Slavonic) University
* Gregory E. Areshian
Scientific adviser, Ph.D. in archaeological sciences, associate researcher at Costen Institute of Archaeology, adj. associate professor of near eastern archaeology at Department of Near Eastern Languages & Culture